Saturday 31 May 2014

The Aussie Wave

1983  I returned from Oz - but the music followed me!

Australia had suddenly become fashionable. By now I understood why, even though I had decided it wasn't for me. But as soon as I returned home it seemed as though Australian music had pursued me across the Earth to invade the UK. Some of it was pretty naff - Men at Work, Australian Crawl. But then some class acts appeared. Somewhat unsuspecting I went to see what all the fuss was about around Midnight Oil, at the Venue; there were only about 50 of us there to experience Pete Garrett's extraordinary vocal and visual performance. INXS were a more melodic Aussie rock offering with some great songs spanning the 80s and early 90s.

But my favourite is probably Icehouse; their music seemed to capture the atmosphere of Sydney and the Great Southern Land. "Street Cafe" owes a lot to Bryan Ferry, but it sings to me of the sweet allure of Sydney. A place where somehow everything a British person adores is available, bigger and better than ever you can find in Britain: sunshine, sandy beaches and rollers, big juicy steaks and big juicy strawberries, and long warm evenings in which to enjoy them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.